Tuesday 17 April 2012

It's About The Journey

We are currently training for our first 2DreamRunner Make-A-Wish 2012 Campaign event which is the BMO Vancouver Marathon. Barry will be running the full and I will be running the half marathon. We feel lucky to take part in "RUN VAN"!

I am a normal person. I have feelings of doubt and fears of failure. I struggle with food choices from time to time. I don't always like what I see or do, but running makes me feel like all of that has no meaning. I celebrate my victories like everyone else, but I am a little shy to admit to myself when I've done good, so I certainly don't boast my successes. I acquire sheer happiness from helping others. A light bulb of warmth shoots through me when I help someone else succeed. I believe in paying it forward and always do my best to pass along helpful information when I can.

During my preparation,  I have been recalling quite a bit on my first ever race experience. Last May 29th, Barry and I ran the Abbottsford Run for Water 10k. I suppose I had a little bit of running practice under my belt; about 6 weeks to be exact. I was disappointed in myself. How could I be so slow. I was wrapped up in comparing myself to others. Some people would say that it was only my competitive nature, but I understand now that I was feeling athletically humbled for the first time in my life.

I was bound and determined that I should be able to run a 10k in under an hour because I was very fit. I clearly had not grasped the respect for the sport of running that I now have.
I remember the day I tried to run the pace I wanted to race at and I couldn't. Trying to run that speed really hurt and then I felt like quitting and I actually cried.

Wait a minute, though, when I started walking, I wasn't very fast, and when I started weightlifting, I wasn't lifting heavy, and when I started cardio kickboxing I sure couldn't keep up with my DVD buddy Chalene Johnson.  I learned how to swallow my pride (although my desire for speed still creeps up on me from time to time), and teach myself to enjoy the learning process.

Moments after we started the race, I looked down at my Garmin and realized we were running way faster than the pace I couldn't even get to in my training run. There is something very different about running in a large pack at sea level after tapering for a week and eating apple crisp the night before.

I have a deep respect for running now. I feel incredibly fortunate to participate, and it is something that Barry and I want to do for a long time. We have found something that we can do to help ourselves and the possibility of motivating others to join in the fun is indescribable. You have to try it!

If anyone asks I am always happy to share things that will help others succeed. I have a habit of trying things first the hard way so I get thrilled when I get it right and feel compelled to share. From emotions to chafing, and everything in between,  there's not much I won't discuss when it comes to running. I will be honest about the journey.

To make a donation in support of 2DreamRunners 2012, Click here and choose 2DreamRunners 2012 under support a specific BC Campaign and complete the rest of the donation form.

No comments:

Post a Comment